Wednesday 3 October 2012

Stretching the writing muscle

I've never written a crime drama before but I think the new book launch by My Weekly might provide a good stepping stone into the genre. The Intrigue and Suspense genres are two very different brands. Intrigue could I think be classed less gritty and Suspense more hard nosed.

I quite like reading 'cosy' murder mysterites, rather along the Murder She Wrote lines, Simon Brett Fethering mysteries, Miss Marple and M C Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. The guidelines say 'Who - amateur sleuths' so I am presuming 'cosies' would fall into this category.

I think it's a good idea to stretch the writing muscle by going for something different. Murder mysteries would require quite a bit of planning. There would be alibis, false and real, a list of suspects, motive and action. The scenario would also have to be carefully thought out. Unless you were going for a period piece like a typical country house murder mystery of say the twenties. you would have to think up a good reason as to why everyone was together and the reason for a feud. Weddings and other family gatherings always provide good material.

I understand these novellas will be displayed amongst the magazines. I hope they are given good prominence. Has anyone had one accepted yet or got any thoughts on the new line?


Margaret

9 comments:

  1. The amateur sleuths you mention, Margaret, are good examples of mystery/crime stories. The My Weekly pocket novels are not usually given much prominence, but it would be good if they were displayed well. They tend to get lost among the larger magazines.
    Have you an idea for a story? As you say, there is a lot to consider when writing crime/intrigue/mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm playing with ideas at the moment but I've several thoughts in the pipeline. As you say it requres a lot of thought.

      Delete
  2. Maggie has taken a crime one of mine, which I think is coming out in October at some point. I think cosy crime does fit into this category but it does need to be scary too. I rewrote part of mine to fit into scary! Good luck with it anyway and ge tplanning/writing! Love Chrissie (still sitting with my broken ankle for several more weeks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the ankle is feeling better. Maggie has asked me to rewrite one of my endings for the Suspense line so I'm busy doing that at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I have had two acceptances for the Liaison line, one coming out 18 October and one 15 November. I'll be in England visiting family (and hopefully Chrissie too) when they're published so will be interested to see where they're available and how prominent they are. The covers are definitely more modern and edgy so they're obviously going for a different look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Angela. Is the Liaison line open door when it comes to bedroom scenes? Exactly how modern are your women? What are your titles called? I'll look out for them.

      Margaret

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Chrissie and Angela. I've been avidly studying film and TV detectives, analysing traits and living in a world of murder, embezzlement, and spies. I'm also writing a People's Friend serial at present with a large crime element so I'm limbering up for the new lines......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a People's Friend serial once but it wasn't accepted so I am full of admiration for you. It must be hard work. Actually the I re-vamped my serial and sold it as a pocket novel so it proves no writing is ever wasted

      Margaret

      Delete
  5. Margaret,

    Just saw your reply to my comment. The Liaison line is definitely open door but certainly nowhere near 50 Shades! Maggie is looking for a sensual story with interesting characters and plot. My first one is coming out 18 October and is titled 'Hushed Words. My story is told from both the hero/heroine point of view. The heroine is a single mother of a wayward teenage son who cares for her parents as well. The hero is an Irish millionaire banker who needs to reevaluate his life. The second is due to be released 15 November - I had it titled 'Love Revisited' but I suspect it'll be changed. If you'd like any more info contact me at - author@angelabritnellromance.com

    ReplyDelete