Wednesday 20 June 2012

What To Write Next?

For me, what to write next is normally easy peasy, as Jamie Oliver might say but, this time, since finishing my saga and catching up on stuff I ignored over the 5 months or so while I wrote it, I'm in a dilemma. I thought I would go with the small town romance that was mostly plotted and thought out, re-did the title; yep loved that new one and was happy with my heroine Jenny and hero Sam and the motor bike riding Vicar, David. Then ... uncertainty. Why?
Because I dallied by researching which of my books are read the most. My biggest selling title far and away is Outback Hero, and the only conclusion I can draw is the title itself which of course hints at the unique setting. My ebook downloads of it have skyrocketed this year and while the other romances sell steadily, Hero is a standout success. It is also the first book I had published so it will always have a special place in my writer's heart.
But it became the cause of my uncertainty because my research changed my thoughts on what I planned to write next. If outback stories are popular, shouldn't I write another one of those instead of a small town or rural/country romance? I love my sunburnt country myself and have never had the slightest urge to live in the city. I'm a country girl, so I can fully understand anyone's fascination with the wide open spaces of my native land.
Then what should drop into my letterbox about that time? My latest issue of the fabulous Australian "Outback" magazine to which I subscribe and receive bi monthly. If you want to know more about it, click here. And what special article should appear in said magazine? One entitled "Desert Kingdom" about Anna Creek cattle station in outback South Australia. And what should my proposed outback series be about? One set on an outback sheep property, one set on a broadacre wheat farm and, yep, you guessed it, one set on a cattle station.
Decision made I think. Meant to be. Problem solved.
If you want to dip into a bit more authentic Australiana until my next outback book comes out, try the R.M. Williams website. R.M. Williams was a bush swagman who became a millionaire.
There's a wonderful Australian poem called "A Sunburnt Country" by Dorothea McKellar that all Australian children grow up with and you will find it here. Trust me, it's a beautiful piece and well worth a read.
Good luck to all Pocketeers whatever they decide to write next and to our readers who enjoy our heartwarming stories so much.

Ayers Rock in the Northern Territory of central Australia


4 comments:

  1. Can feel myself getting sunburnt already! Wise words, Noelene. It's a dilema I've been fighting myself over the past few days. I'm busy with other none writing things at present and the idea that was simmering suddenly seems very boring. I also have another book .. erotica .. which has provoked interest following a ompetition but I'm really putting it off. Just shows, you have to believe in what you're writing and enjoy doing it. If not, it really shows to the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your location looks and sounds fabulous Noelene and I can understand why Outback Hero is your bestseller, it just has a ring to it and I'm sure 'does what it says on the tin' as they say. I try and think up exotic locations, different to mine but often forget that one person's boring-every-day is another person's exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about locations meaning different things to different people. Therefore, go with your instincts on this and, as has been said before, let your enjoyment shine through to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right to go with your gut instinct, Noelene. When you are passionate about a location (like your Outback)it comes shining though in your writing.
    In my case it's the Scottish Highlands, and having just sold a pocket novel set here to The People's Friend, I'm in a very happy place right now.

    ReplyDelete