Wednesday 9 May 2012

I'm delighted to tell you that my fourth book for People's Friend was released last week. I love this cover -so evocative and exactly right for the story. I've posted a blurb and short extract - I hope you enjoy them enough to buy the actual book. I'm sure it's still available. best wishes Fenella **************************************************************************************** Lydia Peterson is content to run her stud farm and remain single, the last thing she wants is an autocratic brother-in-law interfering with her life even if he is the most attractive man she is ever met. Colonel Simon Wescott, on leave from the Peninsular War, believes that a wife has no place in a soldier's life until he comes into contact with his infuriating, headstrong sister-in-law. However when a series of dramatic events throw them together and both their lives are endangered they are forced to reconsider their first impressions. Will Simon be able to compromise his duty to put King and country first in order to save Lydia's life? Can she give up her independence and become a soldier's wife? ***************************************************************************************** Lydia grabbed at the strap as the carriage tilted alarmingly but failed to stop her undignified slide into the well of the vehicle. Her maid landed heavily on top of her. For a moment she lay winded, unable to move, terrified the vehicle would go completely over. 'I beg your pardon, miss, I couldn't stop myself from falling.' 'It's not your fault, Martha, I think we must have broken an axle, I sincerely hope the horses are unharmed.' With some difficulty she extricated herself and stood up. 'At least we are both in one piece. If I balance on the edge of the seat I believe I might manage to open the door.' She attempted the maneuver and the coach rocked alarmingly. 'Please don't do that, Miss Peterson, you'll likely have us right over.' 'Why doesn't Sam come to our aid? I believe he might have taken a tumble from the box and be lying injured in the road. As Billy went ahead to order refreshments at the White Queen, there's no one to tend our coachman. I must get out.' This time her struggles sent the coach crashing right over. Her world turned upside down, her legs and arms became entangled with Martha's and it was several minutes before she was able to get both of them upright. The doors were now the floor and ceiling, the squabs pointing into the air. The sound of her precious horses panicking meant she had no option. If she did not get out and release them from the harness they would likely break a leg. Suddenly Martha screamed and pointed downwards, Lydia saw water seeping in through the door that now acted as the floor. They must have turned over into the ditch that ran alongside of the road. 'Hold on to something, Martha, I must climb out this instant. I think if I could step on your knee I might reach the door handle somehow.' Her smart travelling ensemble was ruined, the hem already saturated with muddy water, her spencer in no better case. Her lovely new bonnet was hanging in disarray around her neck, her sister had been most insistent that she dressed in her best to meet the colonel as the much longed for visitor was to arrive today as well. She was not going to impress anyone now. The whinnying and stamping from the team had stopped. Was this a good or bad sign? Before she had time to consider the door above her head was slammed back and a gentleman appeared in the space. It was impossible to see his features clearly, but from his voice he was obviously well-to-do. 'Why couldn't you stay still, ladies? You have turned a minor accident into a major disaster. I have released your horses and attended to your coachman, however now that you've managed to tip the carriage right over there is nothing I can do to get you out without assistance. You must stay in here.' The incredibly rude gentleman vanished as suddenly as he'd appeared leaving Lydia standing up to her boot tops in freezing water. 'Come back here this instant, sir, you cannot abandon us in here.' He slammed his fist against the carriage and shouted back. 'I cannot right the vehicle unaided, neither can I pull you out through the door. You will come to no harm, the ditch is shallow, I shall be back as soon as I can.' Then he was gone, only the sound of hoof beats echoing in the cold winter air to keep her company. This was no gentleman, he had callously left her and Martha without making a serious attempt to rescue them. He could be gone hours, what about poor Sam unconscious on the side of the road? She would not remain incarcerated here a moment longer. 'Martha, let me stand on your knee. If you brace yourself against the seat I'm certain I can scramble out.' 'It's a good thing you're not a short as me, miss, I'd not reach even if I tried.' With her maid to use as a stool she grasped the edges of the open door. 'Martha, give me a push, I think I can do it then.' Her feet were grasped firmly and she was rising steadily, throwing herself forward she tipped headlong through the door and slithered, skirts and petticoats flying, down the side to land with a thud in the road. Can Lydia keep her independence and the man she loves?

12 comments:

  1. Thank you, Fenella. It sounds a most intriguing storyline. Also, as you say, the front cover is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only complaint is that they change the titles -am trying to come up with one that suits us both for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also a bit confusing when they use a very generic title (do they have a list of acceptable ones?) that has been used recently on the other pocket novel series. Ties That Bind and To Love Again come to mind. I like distinctive titles that remind me of a particular story. The Shadows of Love could go on a thousand and one romances. Probably more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were both my books 'To Love Again' was my own title and was appropriate for the book. 'Ties That Bind' was changed by the editor. My next one (My Weekly) I have called 'Summer of Broken Dreams' which really tells the right story. I wonder if it will reach the shelves with that title?

      Delete
  4. This looks like a very exciting tale, Fenella. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I called it 'Miss Peterson & The Colonel'. I've had: To Love Again/Saved by Love/Journey to Love etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from Spain.

    I have posted here sometime before, I am 34 years old spanish guy who loves romantic and mystery literature.

    Have you noticed the change in look and cover of My Weekly pocket novels?. I have just received the last 2 and the paper quality has improved a lot, as well as the cover. Now you don´t have to destroy the book while reading!

    Is this happening to People´s Friend novels too?

    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I deleted as I'd made some typos!
      Yes, People's Friend have changed too. Better print size and better quality paper. What do you think of the longer length of My Weekly novels? They are 50,000 words instead of 30,000.

      Delete
    3. Hello Chrissie!

      I think this new My Weekly novels are quite better than the previous ones which were very short for my taste.

      Is there any web where we can see all the pocket novels that have been published on My Weekly and People´s Friend? If not, we could start adding the covers and give some info on the synopsis in some blog we create. It would be great to group all these great novels in one single webpage.

      what do you think?

      Delete
    4. A great idea. I imagine it could look something like the page at http://www.kellyscomics.com/peoples-friend-story-library.php
      ... brought right up to date!

      Delete
  7. Fenella, I love both reading and writing historicals. I have just finished Veronyce Bates' PFPN "Following His Footsteps" set in 1600s UK where a woman follows soldiers at war. I had always heard about this so it was interesting to read and learn about a soldier company's life together with the associated romance. Congratulations on release of "Shadow Of Love."
    Re book titles, I've been lucky so far it seems as none of my titles have been changed.

    ReplyDelete